Thursday, January 23, 2014

Moustachio, cat of 1,000 expressions

Well, not really. He really has pretty much only one expression. 

And this is it.

 See? Here he is on the back porch on a beautiful afternoon just a couple of days ago, 
and here he is in a painting I did of him a couple of years ago. 

Same pose, including the back left foot sticking out just a little to the side and tail lying out behind him a little to the left. I think I mentioned it at the time, but one of the things that made me want to do that painting was that the table legs echoed so perfectly the shape of Moustachio’s legs. Sometimes it’s little visual quirks like that that get me going.

I’m still toying with the idea of doing a series called “Around the World with Moustachio,” with him in this exact same pose in each painting, but in a different setting. Moustachio at the Eiffel Tower, Moustachio along the Thames, Moustachio and the Great Pyramids, Moustachio on Easter Island, etc. 

It could be great fun.

No comments: