Friday, June 17, 2011

another glimpse ...

This Side Up work-in-progress detail:


Well, burning the candle at both ends finally caught up with me yesterday. I guess I’m not as young as I used to be.

*sigh*

Anyway, I’d been feeling a little under the weather, so I kind of played hookey and took yesterday off. This morning I packaged up some paintings and sent them off to their new homes, did some updates on my blog and website, and then this afternoon I finally got back to the easel and had a productive afternoon of painting. I finished the book stack, and part of the chair, and the cardboard box. I see from looking at the detail above that the left side of the top book isn’t quite right. I’ll need to fix that tomorrow!

The way I’m working on this one seems a little different to me than usual. I’m sort of meandering along and finishing each little part before moving on to the next. It reminds me of something I read in a Dean Koontz interview about the way he writes. Very different from the way a writer would usually work. He said that instead of finishing a rough draft of the entire work and then going back and making revisions and edits, he works on a book one page at a time, editing, revising, correcting and perfecting that one page before moving on to the next. I found that very interesting.

Anyway, this afternoon I started with the top book in the stack, moved down to the next and then the next, finishing each before moving on to the next. When I got to the bottom of the stack I just kind of naturally moved left to the chair and then up to the arm and finally the cardboard box, again finishing each little part before moving on to the next. Working on it this way today was very relaxing to me somehow.

Here’s a close-up view of the books; you can see how I’m letting the underpainting show through in places.


I really think I’ll be able to make short work of the rest of the painting tomorrow, and have the whole thing to show. I have been taking work-in-progress photos, too, but I’m going to save them to post all at once.

No comments: