Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Experimenting with texture


SOLD

By Moonlight © 2011 Karen Mathison Schmidt
7 x 5 • oil on museum quality, archival Gessobord

private collection • Houston, Texas

This little landscape just sort of emerged while I was experimenting with color and texture. Especially texture.

It seems that every time I try an abstract, a river happens. Hmmmm ...

I used a painting knife most of the time, painted a layer and scraped it off several times in different places, building up layers of color. On the lower right part I wrinkled up a piece of plastic wrap and stuck it to the painting and then removed it, just to see what kind of texture it would make. Interesting. Then I patted the plastic into some of the paint on my palette and stuck it to the painting again and again removed it. More interesting.

Not my usual technique, but every now and then you just have to play around so you can get going again!

I wish it wasn’t getting dark already ... I’m not ready to stop ...

Well, I guess I’ll start tomorrow with renewed energy; I’ll need it for my next painting, featuring Blue and Sophie, entitled A Long Nap.

Tune in tomorrow to see progress!

No comments: