Monday, August 27, 2007

I guess Faulkner is good for some things

(Please forgive me, all you Faulkner fans!)


Morning Light in August
© 2007 Karen Mathison Schmidt
16 x 12 • acrylic on 2" cradled Gessobord
This painting will be available for purchase during my show at the
LSU Medical Library in Shreveport, Nov. 1 - Dec. 31.

Hi everyone! Here’s the finished painting – I adapted the title from William Faulkner, whom I’m NOT a big fan of (WAY too convoluted and full of Southern angst for me – although I have gotten more than a few laughs out of reading past entries in the annual Faux Faulkner writing contest, which I don’t think has been held for a couple of years now). Nevertheless, I love the poetic sound of this book title, A Light in August..

While I was finishing up the painting Saturday afternoon, my husband said I should name it You Can’t Hurry Love. He said this over his shoulder as he was walking through the room, and really didn’t give an explanation of any kind – I guess since he’s a musician he’s more in tune with the names of songs rather than novels. I thought about his suggestion for a while, and even for a very brief instant considered You Can’t Hurry August Light but in the end decided to stick with Faulkner for this one.

No comments: