Thursday, May 28, 2009

Sweet Memories


Translucence ©2009 Karen Mathison Schmidt
18 x 24 x 1 • acrylic on cradled Gessobord
SOLD • private collection, Puyallup, Washington

My favorite flowers. Next to my favorite little decorative tin container. In the bay window, one of my favorite spots. Sweet!

Back at the end of April I sold a little daffodil painting to one of my faithful collectors, who lives up north. She sent me a note saying that she propped up the little painting next to her computer to remind her that spring weather had to be just around the corner. Down here in the South I tend to forget how blessed we are to have daffodils in February!

And now that we're hurtling headlong into that withering season that has us shutting our windows and doors against the humidity (and the bugs!), pulling up a chair in front of the air conditioner with a tall glass of ice cold tea, and counting the days until October, here's a painting to remind us southerners of those cool, refreshing mornings of just a few weeks ago.

Ahhh, those sweet, bygone days of spring. *sigh*

Here are some close-up details. I used a lot of color glazes to add depth of color and enhance the effect of the light in the painting.







No comments: