Thursday, March 25, 2010

Biscuit!


Is this one of the most beautiful cat faces in the world, or what? I was over at my friend Ramona’s, taking pictures of her camelia bushes in full bloom, and her cat Biscuit appeared, just begging to be photographed. We had a great photo session there on the back steps until it was time for Ramona and I to hop in the car and head down to Lowe’s to pick out paint for a dresser she’s restoring.

Art Update: I have been working diligently on a large acrylic painting with a collage type feel ... in fact, I did a sort of collage in photoshop to compose it, and I’m using that as a guide to paint it. It’s an illustration for a poster advertising an event titled “All That Gllitters Is Not Gold,” and it has a lot of different textures. I’m having a real blast working on it. I think I’ll have it done in a day or two so I can post it.

I used parts of it that are finished to put together this logo for mail-outs:


Meanwhile, I’m also very excited about my new oil paints that arrived this week. I LOVE doing research on products I’m considering purchasing, and I finally narrowed down my color choices from approximately one gazillion to a manageable 15 or so tubes.

In one of her posts, The Pioneer Woman said that if it wasn’t so impractical for her to own 80 different patterns of china, she would own 80 different patterns of china. Well, I’m the same way about paint colors ... I love them all! Highly impractical to have them all, though. So I do research on all the different colors and what goes into them, and how they mix, and the colorfastness, etc etc etc. to help me make my decision. The part I love the best is the history of use of the different colors. Like Bone Black is actually made from charred bones, one of the oldest pigments - used in cave paintings.

And that the name Ultramarine comes from the middle Latin for “beyond the sea” because it was imported to Europe from the East, beyond the Mediterranean, and considered a very precious color. A lot of you already knew that. I always had the idea that it was called Ultramarine because it was super mega deep sea blue.

One of the cool things about life is that if you’re on your toes, you learn something new every day!

And now, I’m off to make art ...

1 comment:

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Now that is one handsome cat.....looking forward to seeing your finished piece!