Sunday, October 2, 2011

Beautiful weather, great group, wonderful workshop!


The workshop yesterday was wonderful; the weather was perfect, a beautiful day ... we had nineteen in attendance; a very lovely and attentive group. I decided at the last minute to make my painting a little larger, 16 x 12 inches, and so there was a little delay while I put my sketch onto the new board, but once I got going on the demo things went swimmingly. I was glad I made the painting larger, because it easier for everyone to see. It was a lot easier to talk and paint at the same time than I had thought it would be, too, and I enjoyed answering questions as I went. I didn't take any progress photos, but one of the ladies said she would send me hers, so I'll share those as soon as I get them. I also neglected to take a group photo, but hopefully someone got some pics of the group; I've put a shout out for anyone who has some of the group to send them to me so I can show them here.

Even though I didn’t complete the entire painting, I got far enough along that I got to show a lot of the different techniques and principles involved in my process. I plan to finish the painting over the next couple of days, then post it here. Here’s how the painting looked at the end of the afternoon’s session:






We gave out two door prizes, the announcement of which cause many an excited murmer amongst the group: a copy of Susan Sarback's Capturing Radiant Light and Color in Oils and Pastels (signed by Susan herself!) and a $20 Hobby Lobby gift card. All in all it was a fun, productive and info-packed afternoon. My favorite part was at the end when several of the ladies said, “This makes me want to go right home and start painting!” At that, I said, “Good! Then my goal has been accomplished!”

2 comments:

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Sounds like a great time was had by all :)

Tara said...

Hi, Karen! I asked you about your technique back in the summer, as I was struggling to learn and love your work. So I launched a blog of some of the work I've done since the generous note you sent me. I thought you might want to check it out! Thank you so much for your help!!!
http://www.taratoshkennedy.blogspot.com/

Tara