Monday, April 22, 2013

Comfy Cozy Ray Painting finished!

SOLD

A Rainy Morning  © 2013 by Karen Mathison Schmidt, artist
12 x 12 x 1 inches • oil on cradled GessobordTM

private collection • Leonding, Austria


Thank you for all your title suggestions ... they were all great! As I was looking at the finished painting last night I wanted to go with something that would emphasize the feeling of comfy coziness, and what better way to evoke that feeling than to know that while Ray is indulging in a morning snooze in his favorite chair, the rain is pattering on the roof and streaming down the window panes.

One note: I had initially intended for the back of the chair to be a creamy white with the little embroidered flowers, but then I thought that might make the overall look too light, and take away from the feeling of coziness, so I decided instead to emphasize that luscious red underpainting, and I ended up loving it. Now I wish I actually had a luxuriously red chair here in my studio! For now I’ll have to be content  with tossing a red quilt over the back.  :)



1 comment:

Giclee gal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.