Saturday, September 7, 2013

More painting progress, and a genuine basket case

If Monet’s Poppies Were in My Garden WORK-IN-PROGRESS • 16 x 20 inches

Here’s where I am on this one now. I abandoned my reference photo right at the start of today’s painting time. Kind of exhilarating, working without a net!

One thing I can see now that I’m looking at the photo: I’m not too crazy about the four large poppies spaced so evenly across the bottom. Easy to change that tomorrow.

When I walked in the kitchen this afternoon for a little snack, I found that Jo has found the perfect napping spot, recently vacated since we ran out of bread this morning. I backed slowly out and made a dash for my camera before I walked casually back in and caught the moment to share.

Hmmm ... I think I smell another “Basket Case” painting in my near future ...

2 comments:

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Ha ha had to laugh at her expression...don't think she was happy to be found out :D

Loving Monet's poppies in your garden, a smiley painting if ever there was one :)

Anonymous said...

I'm a long time admirer of your work, a daily visitor to your site, and a huge fan of your blog (not to mention your wonderful pets!). Last week I either read or heard (and at this age cannot remember the source, unfortunately) that nothing is more creative than your imagination. Wow! And maybe that's why working 'without a net' is so exciting and challenging. You are in effect painting from memory and imagination. To me, that's ART! It's wonderful! It's magic.

...and then my sweet husband will walk into the studio and offer his comments, which are totally left brained, scientific, accurate, detailed and the exact opposite of what I'm trying to do and POUFFF - the bubble is burst. Rats! But the more I paint intuitively the better I get and the more I like my paintings. That feeling of exhilaration is the reason I hang in there.

And he-who-must-not-comment is slowly learning, too.