Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Howdy, Neighbors!


Here are some of our across the road neighbors, greeting Trixie and me as we walk down the driveway heading out for our afternoon walk. I don't know why, but cows really crack me up. My favorites in this photo are “the twins” toward the middle of the crowd.

I know this pic was taken some time back, because I've been without the use of my camera ever since the first morning of my stay in Mexico, July 1! My big main camera battery went out that morning and I haven't got around to replacing it (maybe I'll do that today!) Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that I’ve become entirely too dependent on my camera when it comes to gathering references for my paintings. I've decided to start making more sketches and notes for reference the way I used to before digital.

Quite a few people have gotten after me for the down time on my blog ... these days have been pretty hectic. One of the things that's been going on is that because of the relentless rain – almost every day of July! – the plumbers have been slowed down and we still don’t have running water! I've been assured that by the end of the day we can call the port-a-jon company and tell them to come pick that baby up, because from now on we'll be using the bathroom inside the house. Wahoo!!

One of the reasons I have no new paintings to show is that when you don't have water running out of the tap on demand, cleanup is a really big deal. Hard to work up the gumption to paint when cleanup is going to be such a hassle. I never realized how many times a day I wash my hands! We've gone through cans and cans of those antibacterial wipes.

Our hopes are high that by tonight we'll be flushing once more. Can you feel the anticipation? You can almost cut it with a knife!

No comments: