Friday, November 13, 2009

I fought the color and the color won


Shady Road © 2009 by Karen Mathison Schmidt
6 x 6 • acrylic on Gessobord

SOLD • private collection, Salem, Massachusetts

Well, when I came to the easel this morning, I had the idea that I was going to tone down some of the color intensity of this fauve-a-licious little picture. When I started painting, however, the colors stubbornly insisted on remaining bold and bright.

As you can see, I decided to pick my battles and let the color have its way in this one. (Yeah, that’s it ... I let the color win.)

Here are some close-up details, and following that are some more photos I took during my walk around the park on Wednesday. What a glorious day!













2 comments:

Denise Rose said...

I love the painting and the beautiful photos! I need to get out and do that too for some painting reference photos. You have inspired me again! I hope it is sunny here today so I can but I think we might have rain. Love the colors!

Lana Gramlich said...

I never fight the colors. They beat me into submission long ago. *L* Lovely photos of your area, too. Nice capture of the light.