Saturday, February 22, 2014

Live a quiet life & work with your hands

I THESSALONIANS 4:11

Basketful O’ Jo (revisited) WORK-IN-PROGRESS
6 x 6 inches • oil on GessobordTM

After doing some more work on the large daffodil painting, I started working my way down from top to bottom on this one; I had just staked out my highlights on the basket when today’s light started fading. Along towards twilight when the natural light was too dim to see colors clearly, I flipped on the light switch and moved on to sketches for two new paintings so I’ll be ready to go on those as soon as this joyful one is finished.

A beautifully quiet day, filled with work I love to do.

Speaking of working with our hands, I recently discovered the work of lettering artist Dana Tanamachi (the image on the left is one of her posters available here). 

On her website, Dana is introduced as “a Texas-bred, Brooklyn-based graphic designer and letterer who enjoys living a quiet life and working with her hands.” 

She does a lot of work with chalk -- these time-lapse videos of her working that she has on her website are really cool.

I love the “FLOURISH” video she has on her home page. My favorite part is when she’s sitting in the chair contemplating the wall she is about to work on, and then she stands up and touches her hand to the blank wall. I LOVE that! I sometimes do that with a blank board that I’m about to paint. Just run the palm of my hand across it ever so lightly. I don’t know why. 

I love that precious moment right after the determination that it’s time to begin, and just before the first mark is made on the surface. Anything can happen.

And it usually does.

1 comment:

mizbish said...

God's gift to me when I was young, stupid and totally embroiled in a spiritually bankrupt pursuit of all the things that don't matter, and I had hit the wall only to be rescued by Grace, was this verse as a guiding standard. "Make it your aim to live a quiet life, to mind your own business, and work with your hands, as we told you before, that you might win the respect of others and not be dependent upon anyone." It's been a lifeline for almost 40 years. What a joy to see it here!