Saturday, June 6, 2015

Adding tools to my box

SOLD

 Enchanted Highway II  ©2015 Karen Mathison Schmidt
8 x 10 x ¾ inches • oil on ClaybordTM
private collection • Estancia, New Mexico

I love summer. Although technically it won’t be here for another couple of weeks, it started unofficially right after Labor Day and the end of school.

And summer always gets me thinking of road trips. And since road trips for us are usually in a westerly direction, when I think “road trip” I think Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, California. I’ve really enjoyed culling through all the photos I’ve taken on the road to use as reference for these road trip paintings.

This is another foray into painting in oils on ClaybordTM. These materials (and subject matter) seem especially suited to the Craftsman illustration style painting I love. The more I work with the Claybord of course, the more I learn about the interaction of these materials, and the more I get used to the feel of the extremely absorbent surface. Another tool in my mental box of painting techniques!



No comments: