Thursday, January 5, 2017

Back to the studio!

SOLD

Midwinter Hope II  © 2017 Karen Mathison Schmidt
12 x 12 inches • acrylic on deep cradled GessobordTM
private collection • Duaringa, Queensland, Australia

Experimenting with opaque and transparent colors, and simplified shapes in a craftsman style illustration. It was so cold in my studio today, with only a little space heater to boost the warmth seeping in from the living room. For a while I thought it would make things a little more fun if I imagined it was 1905 and I was working in my little Parisian garrett in the dead of winter. 

But then I started craving an éclair with café au lait, so I took a break and went next door to warm my hands by the fire for a bit, surrounded by snoring dogs.

Here's the reference photo that inspired this painting, a beautiful Christmas day sunset:


2 comments:

Joan said...

Oh my gosh, Karen, this is so beautiful! We are stocked up and hunkered down in the Atlanta area waiting for the snowstorm. We have barely seen the sun all this year, so it makes your warm painting that much more welcome!

Karen M Schmidt said...

Thanks so much, Joan! Yes, I've been watching the storm head your way as I have family all throughout the south. We had a little sleet this morning, but not enough to cause any big problems. Stay warm! :)