Wednesday, May 7, 2008

And now for something completely different ...


Waterfront Glow ©2008 Karen Mathison Schmidt
6 x 6 • acrylic on Gessobord
gloss varnish for protection and easy cleaning • sold unframed
SOLD • private collection, Vancouver, B.C., Canada

I was just finishing up the sketch for my next garden painting:


while listening to my The Last of the Mohicans soundtrack, when I got the sudden urge to do a painting of a waterfront scene. I know, I know, what do pansies and The Last of the Mohicans have to do with fishing villages? Hey, I didn’t question it – I just went with it. I fished up (um ... pun unexpected!) some old reference photos and settled on this little scene, which was about one square inch in the middle of a much larger photo with a lot of sky and a lot of water and a lot of boats. I zeroed in on these few buildings, took some liberty with the colors, changed the shape of the dock, added the walkway with the lights and, voilà, here’s what I came up with.

I like how this one turned out ... the atmosphere it evokes. I’m really not sure of the reason for my sudden urge to paint this at this particular time. Maybe somebody out there will have a sudden urge to, oh, I don’t know ... buy it, perhaps, hmmm? We’ll see.

Here are some details:





And now, back to the pansies!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

i am in love with these colors. LOVE!