Friday, May 16, 2008

The garden series continues


Remembrance (Pansies on a Cloudy Day) © 2008 Karen Mathison Schmidt
6 x 6 • acrylic on Gessobord
gloss varnish for protection & easy cleaning
SOLD • private collection, New Bern, North Carolina

For this painting I started out with a slightly different composition, but I changed it halfway through by painting out a couple of the blooms. It was just way too busy before; I like this composition much better. One of the major lessons I’m learning with this garden series: flowers are tough! I mean, I love painting them, but its a lot harder for me to create a satisfactory impression of them than some other subjects. I think the reason for that may be that in real life flowers are just so darn beautiful!

Uh-oh, I feel a poem coming on ... let’s see, um ..... ok, I’ve got it.

(To paraphrase Joyce Kilmer):
Paintings are made by fools like me, but only God can make a pan-zee!

Ok, ok, knock it off, I can hear your groans all the way over here.

ANYway, here are some close-up details:


1 comment:

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Love how you made the colors by combining 'chinks' of supporting colors. You could stare at this painting for hours!