Friday, January 22, 2010

Good bones ...

30 x 24 work in progress ...


In the winter, when most of the trees around here are leafless, it’s easy to see their beautiful structure. They’ve got good bones.

A few days ago I started sketching out this landscape of the pecans out in the south pasture. That day my Dad, who has been working hard since fall gathering and sorting and selling pecans from our sixty-some pecan trees, came out to gather up the last ones that fell during some recent windy days. He was walking around under the same trees in my painting, so I decided to take some photos and add him into the picture. I like it.
With him in there it will be easier to show how tall these majestic trees are.

This initial sketch is just mars black, burnt umber and king’s blue, with titanium white mixed in here and there to make different shades of gray. My husband said that at this stage it looks kind of like a snow scene.

And here’s Daddy, with his pecan picker-upper:


In the comments on my last post, Denise R suggested that I post the recipe for the chicken spaghetti casserole in the picture. I think that’s a great idea, so I’ll post it tomorrow ...

Hasta mañana, amigos!

2 comments:

Lana Gramlich said...

Your hubby's right. It totally looks like a Winter scene. Very nice so far.

Denise Rose said...

So cool! That is a great idea to put your Dad in there for both reasons - to show the scale of the trees and because he has worked so hard at picking up those pecans! I also thought at first glance you were working on a snow scene too! Can't wait to see how this one finishes out. I just love trees!