Saturday, July 2, 2011

A little more progress ...

Napscape WORK-IN-PROGRESS detail:


Busy week! I finally got around to some much needed gardening chores, re-potting some poor plants that have been existing for weeks in the pots that they came in from the garden center, plus this is the time of year the entire clan, canine and feline, are due for their boosters and annual checkups. This involves several visits to the vet. Blue and Trixie went last month, but in the last eight days or so we took Bailey and Ray one day, Buster and Sophie one day, Andy and Matilda on another. Whew! Now everyone is up to date and sporting shiny new tags on their collars. All except Matilda, that is, who hasn’t let me put her collar back on her yet. I think I’m going to have to do it while she’s cuddled up next to me on the sofa, sleeping.

Speaking of dogs sleeping on the sofa (notice the smooth seguĂ©) here’s the latest work-in-progress on the new dog painting.


This pillow in the painting is actually sitting on the sofa in the parlor, and when I was vacuuing in there yesterday it caught my eye, and I was thinking how much I like the design on it, then later when I sat down to continue on the painting, I decided that I had cut too many corners on depicting the design on the pillow, and when I tried to make it more true to the actual pillow design I kept getting confused ...


... so I put a white glaze over the pillow so I could start over drawing the design. Then I redid the underpainting using my drawing as a guide, first filling in with Prussian blue ...


... and then applying a rose glaze over that.


I then start in the oil colors on Sophie’s blanket, which is a very soft, light green. This is where I stopped today, but I think progress will go much faster now that our annual animal check-ups are out of the way!

1 comment:

Jan Jennings Art Journal said...

Thank you so much for posting your works in progress! I love your underpainting style with complementary colors!