Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A little reminder ...

I sometimes think there is nothing so delightful as drawing.

– VINCENT VAN GOGH (1853-1890)



Every now and then I need to remind myself how much fun it is just to draw.

To play with line weights, angles and curves, shading. You know ... just draw.


Here’s an easy way to do a pretty accurate drawing for a portrait: if you look closely at my drawing you’ll see very light lines where I divided the board into thirds, across and down. Then I used this grid on my reference photo, and drew Bailey on a 6x6 Gessobord with a No. 2 pencil. Nothing fancy, but a whole lot of fun!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know why I love following your blog. . .because you make art a reality of rules and that is what I need to know! Thanks!

Patent Attorney said...

Love that drawing, and thank you also for the gentle, approachable and simple manner you give instructions for others to do the same.

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,
Your print from Ebay auction came today. I just love it. Thank you!
Sue

Holidaymaker said...

Interesting, great imagery too. I always loved drawing as a child, shame I'm not any good at it!

London Accountants Worker said...

Fantastic drawing, I can imagine drawing is very cathartic and relaxing, that's if you're good at it! (Not like me).