Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy Birthday to Raffles!
... and Happy 4th, everyone!

Raffles • 9 x 12 oil on GessobordTM • WORK-IN-PROGRESS

Here’s where I am on this portrait of Raffles the Ragdoll cat, aka “Ol’ Blue Eyes.” He shares his birthday with our country, so his mom told me he was getting an extra special treat today, in honor of his 13th  ... REAL TUNA!

And here’s another work in progress: a row of little trees out in the pasture, with the late afternoon light glistening on the pond and the trees in the distance. For this one I started with a solid black/burnt umber underpainting, and a very loose sketch done with a wash of titanium white. Keeping it quick and loose, letting the dark surface show through to create an outline in varying thickness. It’s giving me a kind of a stained glass vibe. 

I hope everyone is having a wonderful and safe Fourth of July celebration ... 
be careful with those fireworks and have fun!

No comments: