Wednesday, March 18, 2015

’Stache Man

Moustachio’s World painting in progress
16 x 16 inches • oil on cradled GessobordTM

After taking the photos for yesterday’s update on Moustachio, I just couldn’t resist starting a Moustachio painting. I changed the view out the window to be as if we were looking out to where the driveway winds around one of our pecan trees out front, and instead of sitting on top of my big printer, Moustachio is now sitting on a table covered by a pretty tablecloth. 

I first planned for this to be an 8 x 8, but after talking it over with the subject himself, he convinced me that his personality is much too big to be confined on such a small board. And since I’m fresh out of the 96 x 96 canvas that he suggested, I went with a 16 x 16 instead. I’m so glad I went with the larger format; this is FUN!

I’ve really been enjoying everyone’s comments yesterday’s post; thank you all for chiming in! Maureen pointed out that Moustachio reminds her of Salvador Dali ...

… and I have to admit they do kind of favor each other.

Actually, we thought he bears a close resemblance to Hercule Poirot (à la David Suchet) ...

… and we almost named him H.P. when he first started coming around eight years ago.

I mean, look: you can almost see “zee little grey cells” 
stirring around behind those eyes, trying to solve a mystery ... 

… n’est-ce pas?

4 comments:

Joan said...

Hi Karen, and thank you for taking us along on your art adventures. I love your colorful underpainting method and have referred to it several times with credit to you. You and your art are very inspirational. I still love the small original I purchased and your colorful artwork is a most welcome relief on this cold, rainy Georgia day. - Joan

Karen M Schmidt said...

Thank you very much, Joan! I'm glad you're enjoying your little "Entourage" painting of our Jo. That's still one of my favorites, too -- hopefully the dreary weather will finally end soon :)

Kathy E said...

Absolutely am stunned by how you underpaint and have the color show through. Breathtaking! How do you decide what color to use underneath? Wish you taught, I'd love to come!

silvita said...

Love your style. I also wish you taught !