Monday, December 2, 2013

How she came to be

SOLD

Basketful O’ Jo  © Karen Mathison Schmidt
6 x 6 inches • oil on Ampersand Museum Series GessobordTM
private collection • Richardson, Texas

Here are my work in progress pics on this little one:

 The sketch in pencil, with the beginnings of the acrylic underpainting.

 I used Prussian blue (my favorite!), yellow and fuchsia acrylic glazes.

After the underpainting is dry, I start with the oils. I like to start right off with the eyes; it brings the painting to life right at the beginning!

You can already see how grumpy she is at having her nap interrupted.

 If you really notice, eyes are never just one color. They’re like colored glass. I love how adding just one little white highlight makes such a big impact.

Even though her right eye (the one on the left in the painting) is in shadow, it will still have a highlight, but not as bright white as the other eye.

As I add more colors to Jo’s face, I decide where to keep the vivid blue of the underpainting showing. 


 I still love my Santa Fe blue kitchen door.






No comments: