Saturday, March 15, 2014

New friends …


One of the things I love best about what I do is getting acquainted with new friends from all over who are creating their own art.

Like Mary Jane Peabody of Wilmot, New Hampshire, who makes beautiful handcrafted rugs, each a one-of-a-kind piece of art. On her website she says, Making rugs to me is about transformation - from wool and linen to something new which carries my own creative spirit in its pieces.” You can see her online gallery here.

From time to time Mary Jane likes to feature the work of other artists in her blog. In today’s post she shared some of mine. Thanks so much, Mary Jane!

In another recent blog post, “A Great Challenge,” Mary Jane shared that she and her eleven-member rug hooking group are starting a new “challenge,” in which each member brings in a half-yard of wool of their choice, then they all take a piece of each home and create a rug using all the pieces. The photo above shows the eleven pieces to be used in the challenge.

When I saw her blog post about it, I told Mary Jane that I would like to join the challenge, too, only in paint! I’m hatching an idea for a composition using all these colors and patterns; it IS a challenge, but it’s really got my creative juices going!






2 comments:

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Before I even read your blog post I knew you would love this website http://www.fromtheland.co.uk One of these days I'm going to buy the book that goes iwth the web page.....Enjoy!

Karen M Schmidt said...

Wow! Elizabeth, thank you for sharing this link to this BREATHTAKING book; you were right, this is absolutely my cup of tea! Not only have I added "From the Land Comes the Cloth" to my wish list of books that I'm saving up to add to my collection, but I've also renewed my determination to someday visit Scotland, even the outlying islands. There's something about that rugged landscape that speaks to my soul … it's heartbreakingly beautiful to me :)