Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Painting progress ...


I hope everyone had a wonderful and meaningful Memorial Day!

I wanted to show you all how this big one is coming along. After painting a few little ones, working on this big one (18x24) seems very, kind of, well ... luxurious. I think the feeling is akin to what it would feel like to practice ice skating on a tiny pond in your back yard for a few days and then being let loose on an Olympic size skating rink. I love the sweeping motion of the leaves, and all the movement in this one.

I’m still trying to come up with a title. Somehow, Day Lilies just doesn’t seem to cut it!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

beauty-full!!!
I have been having the urge to paint big too! I like your analogy...

Karen M Schmidt said...

Thanks, Melanie! I love the quick little paintings ... they help keep my work spontaneous and strengthen my discipline to start (and finish!) new projects, but I have to say I feel a really deep sense of accomplishment when I finish a large one.

I’m having the urge to go bigger still ... even the 16x20’s are starting to look small to me! Seeing pics of your murals on your website, I’m starting to get a few ideas about some of the walls in our “new” old house ... the sky’s the limit!