Saturday, May 12, 2007

You only thought it was finished.


A Study in Vanilla © 2007 Karen Mathison Schmidt
6 x 6 • acrylic on gessobord
Gloss varnish for protection and ease of cleaning • sold unframed
CLICK HERE to bid!

Well, as often happens with me, after living with the “finished” painting for a day or two, I saw a couple of teeny adjustments I wanted to make on this. That’s why I never varnish right away; if, after a few days, I see nothing to change about a painting, then and only then do I consider it truly done. Every now and then I’ll see something I wish I’d done differently a year or so later, but oh well.

So here’s the final final version. See if you can tell what I changed (one thing is totally obvious, the other thing may take a little more study) and I’ll reveal what I did in the next post. Fun, huh? Kind of like an activity in Highlights!

And now, on to another little piece ... I love it when I can spend all day painting!

2 comments:

Kerri King said...

Oh oh, you darkened the background on the right and top. (I like that touch!) I'm glad you got some smaller pieces to play around with!

Karen Mathison Schmidt said...

Hi Kerri!
Yep! I put a blue glaze over the background areas; I also straightened out the lines of the row of border tiles at the back. Before it looked to me kind of like there was a dip in the countertop, so straightening those lines lessened that effect.