Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The hibernating blog awakens ...



Midwinter Moon - work in progress, acrylic on 26 x 20 cradled Gessobord.

The inspiration for this new painting was the breathtakingly splendid moon which was just rising through the trees down the road when I took Trixie out for her post-dinner jaunt on Christmas Eve. Since winter officially began on December 21, technically I guess this would be an Early Winter Moon, but I've always been particularly fond of words starting with “mid-” ... midsummer, midair, midstream, mid-afternoon snack, etc., so I chose Midwinter Moon for the title. Artist's perogative.

In her Greywaren Art blog post of a few days ago, Maggie Stiefvater sets forth a great example of practical, real-world new year goal-setting. Here are two of my artist-blog-related goals for this year (tune in tomorrow for some non-blog-related goals, including some more art-related ones):

1. Paint or draw every day. EVERY day. This is do-able, so I’m determined to do it, no excuses. Period.

2. Post a blog entry every day I’m not away from home, even if it’s only one sentence. or one word. or only a picture. every day.

3. Finish at least one 12 x 16 or larger painting every week.

There. I’ve shared these goals on the world wide web, so I guess they’re official!

And now, back to watching the Twilight Zone marathon with my husband and a bowl of popcorn, 2 dogs and 3 cats. (On these freezing nights the whole menagerie tends to gather where the heavy-duty space heater is, which at the moment is in front of the tv.) One of my favorites is just coming on: Nightmare at 20,000 Feet with a pre-Star Trek William Shatner.

Happy New Year, all!

3 comments:

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Thanks for the linkage, Karen! Your goals sound very doable, very practical, and entirely trackable (I can tell if you aren't doing them and kick your butt!)

Happy new year!

Karen M Schmidt said...

Uh-oh! Maggie’s watching ... I’d better be on the ball!

Thanks for your encouragement, Maggie!

Melanie said...

Karen,
I am (selfishly) ecstatic you are making a goal to blog and paint every day! hooray!
You are such an inspiration... I really enjoyed these posts.
I watched (way too much) of the Twilight Zone marathon too - it was awesome :)
Happy New Year!!