Wednesday, January 23, 2008

“... I think myself one of the happiest beings ...”

Psalm 105:3-4

Glory in his holy name;
let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice.
Look to the LORD and his strength;
seek his face always.

An excerpt from Daily Strength for Daily Needs:
I do not know when I have had happier times in my soul, than when I have been sitting at work, with nothing before me but a candle and a white cloth, and hearing no sound but that of my own breath, with God in my soul and heaven in my eye ... I rejoice in being exactly what I am, – a creature capable of loving God, and who, as long as God lives, must be happy. I get up and look for a while out of the window, and gaze at the moon and stars, the work of an Almighty hand. I think of the grandeur of the universe, and then sit down, and think myself one of the happiest beings in it.

– A Poor Methodist Woman, 18th Century

No comments: